As one of the nation’s leading pediatric health care systems, Nemours is committed to providing all children with their best chance to grow up healthy. We offer integrated, family-centered care to more than 300,000 children each year in our pediatric hospitals, specialty clinics and primary care practices in Delaware, Florida, Maryland, New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Nemours strives to ensure a healthier tomorrow for all children – even those who may never enter our doors – through our world-changing research, education and advocacy efforts. At Nemours, our Associates help us deliver on the promise we make to every family we have the privilege of serving: to treat their child as if they were our own.
The Medical Assistant will provide assistance to members of the medical staff caring for Pediatric patients in the outpatient clinics. This assistance will include but is not limited to data collection for patient assessment, assisting with provider/patient needs during procedures and basic documentation of patient encounter. Responsible for assisting with clerical activities related to appointment scheduling, patient intake including data verification, office communications, and documentation in patient record.
Essential Responsibilities - Clinical
1. Perform and document vital signs, heights and weights, manual blood pressure adapting basic procedure to patient medical needs and developmental stage.
2. Document patients’ allergies, medications, c/o pain, language barriers, and cultural and religious considerations as reported by patient/caregiver.
3. Assist physicians and other members of the medical staff with procedures that occur in the Outpatient setting.
4. Transcribe, collect, label and arrange transport for lab specimens according to policy. Perform and document Point of Care Testing for the medical staff.
5. Perform phlebotomy and other specimen collections as warranted.
6. Participates in the department’s program to ensure continuous quality assessment and improvement in patient care activities.
Essential Responsibilities - Clerical
1. Greets patients, takes required vital sign by visit type and provider, documents in EMR, and gets patient ready for visit by appointment type and specialty.
2. Maintain needed clerical and clinical supplies in work area.
3. Promote a professional and caring environment at all times for customer. Meets Behavioral, Customer Service and A.I.D.E.T. Standards for Nemours.
4. Adheres to all Nemours/Department Policies including Attendance and Associate Conduct expectations.
5. Report areas of concern to attention of the Nurse Manager
7. Monitor and ensure patient safety, cleanliness and security of clinic.
8. Ensure that all patients receive necessary information in clinic as to who will be responsible for their care and how the clinic works.
9. Check status of patients waiting more than 10 minutes and advise of progress.
10. Responsible for Checking Out patients and scheduling Follow-Up Appointments in the room
12. Computer Competencies in EPIC-EMR/Cadence/Resolute.
13. Maintains patient confidentiality and HIPAA guidelines.
14. Participates in hospital-wide Risk Management Program regarding patient/visitor safety, variance reporting, and RCAs.
15. Participates in Environment of Care survey for JCAHO readiness and preparedness.
I. Education, Training and Experience A. High School Diploma B. Graduate of an Accredited Medical Assistant Program C. Six months to one year outpatient pediatric office and/or behavioral health experience
II. Other Requirements
A. Specialty Ambulatory Care experience preferred B. Good communication skills C. Polished professional demeanor D. Must demonstrate initiative to seek information E. Flexibility in work schedule to extended hours as necessary F. Ability to handle relatively active physical work, walking etc.
Licenses, Registrations, or Certifications
Proof of graduation from a certified Medical Assistance program CPR certification required from American Heart Association
Schedule: This position requires flexibility as it is an 8 hour a day, 5 days a week wiith hours between 7:30am-7:15pm and possible Saturday morning hours.
Our dedication to professionals who are dedicated to children frequently earns Nemours a spot on the list of top workplaces in the communities we serve. Our Associates enjoy comprehensive benefits, including our unique “Bridge to a Healthy Future” pediatric health plan, an integrated wellness program, opportunities for professional growth, and much more. As an equal opportunity employer, Nemours focuses on the best-qualified applicants for our openings.
Nemours is a pediatric health system of hospitals and specialty clinics serving children and families throughout the Delaware Valley and Florida. Our dedicated professionals integrate medical care, research, health education, and prevention to help improve the lives of children every day.