Under general supervision and according to specific and detailed procedures, accurately performs specific pre-analytical and post-analytical tasks. Processes information by compiling, categorizing, calculating, tabulating, auditing, or verifying information or data with attention to detail. Interacts with patient and other health care professionals, and responds to routine inquiries. Inspects and maintains work area, instruments, and supplies. Promotes DMC values by demonstrating behaviors supportive of building a High Reliability Culture committed to Safety for Life, Health for Life, Customer Service, Community Welfare, Excellence, Respect, Integrity, Accountability, Innovation, Teamwork and Effective Resource Use.
1. Prioritizes incoming specimens; processes patient specimens in accordance with department safety and OSHA guidelines. Ensures stats and other critical tests are accurately and immediately processed. Documents specimen problems and refers to supervisor or other lead designee.
2. May draw blood samples from patients based on physician?s order and in accordance with departmental safety and OSHA guidelines (e.g. utilizes protective equipment such as gloves, coats, and shields); verifies patients? identification and collects insurance information.
3. Generates and attaches labels to specimen/blood samples; may perform specimen processing and aliquoting according to pre-established test requirements.
4. Ensures specimen integrity by verifying patient identification and ensures the sample submitted is appropriate given the requested test. Sorts, racks, and delivers specimens to appropriate testing laboratory.
5. Accurately enters and reviews laboratory test data in the laboratory computer system; detects and corrects errors according to laboratory policies and quality standards.
6. Communicates with patients to explain procedures and/or answers routine questions from physicians, nurses, or other appropriate healthcare professionals (e.g. date or time of drawing patient?s blood or gathering specimens, verifying a request, etc.)
7. Maintains a neat and clean work area; stocks storage area with supplies and inventories as necessary. Cleans glassware, equipment, and small instruments. 8. May perform transportation duties (e.g. delivers specimens and reports); time stamps or computer verifies all laboratory requests; may order tests in the system.
9. May conduct routine inspection, maintenance and quality control checks on equipment (e.g. records temperatures). Reports unusual findings timely to supervisor or lead designee.
10. May prepare the patient for and/or administer tolerance tests or other tests specific to assigned area.
11. Performs a variety of clerical duties such as answering the telephone, scheduling appointments, maintaining records, or relaying a message to the appropriate personnel.
12. Self-monitors their individual work behavior and performance to make improvements. Communicates training and development needs to management. 13. Complies with departmental safety polices and procedures and OSHA guidelines, including the use of applicable personal protective equipment.
14. Responsible to check organizational communication daily (i.e. Outlook, laboratory software, posted notices, etc.)
15. Performs other related duties as assigned.
1. High school diploma or equivalent education required.
2. Candidate must have six (6) months experience in medical training ,and/ or certification in a health care environment or related science field. (i.e. Lab Assistant, Medical Assistant, Nursing Assistant, Phlebotomist or Health Science studies.)
3. Basic studies in medical terminology or a related health science field preferred. 4. Customer service experience in a service environment preferred.
5. For Phlebotomists - Phlebotomy Certification is preferred.
Job: Phlebotomy/Blood/Medical Asst
Primary Location: Detroit, Michigan
Facility: DMC University Laboratories, Inc.
Job Type: PT2Y
Shift Type: Days
If Other Shift, Specify: M-TH 9-1
Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by an applicantâ��s or employeeâ��s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Tenet will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Internal Number: 1905045398
About DMC University Laboratories, Inc.
“Tenet Healthcare Corporation is a diversified healthcare services company with 115,000 employees united around a common mission: to help people live happier, healthier lives. Through its subsidiaries, partnerships and joint ventures, including United Surgical Partners International, the Company operates general acute care and specialty hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, urgent care centers and other outpatient facilities. Tenet's Conifer Health Solutions subsidiary provides technology-enabled performance improvement and health management solutions to hospitals, health systems, integrated delivery networks, physician groups, self-insured organizations and health plans.