A position in a Banner Health pharmacy is one you can look forward to. Join an engaging environment of full service, high technology and experience a wide variety of responsibilities. You'll also see how important a pharmacy job is to our ability to make life easier for our patients. Come enjoy great challenges and build both your knowledge of the field and your analytical skills.
University of Arizona Health Plans provides interesting job opportunities that you will learn something new each day. At UAHP, we work hard to improve the lives of our members. We believe in member-centric care and go above and beyond for our members.
UAHP is a team that works hard on providing the best care, while working cohesively to assure the needs of each patient are being met. In addition, you have the opportunity to impact the care of one of the most needy, disadvantaged populations. This role will provide leadership and direction to Pharmacy Technician Staff, volunteers and technician externs while promoting positive customer relations, fosters a team environment within the department and actively contributes to a supportive work environment. You will also have the opportunity to work with a strong leadership team that works hard to guide and help each one of their employees grow.
Your pay and benefits (Total Rewards) are important components of your Journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefit plans to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life.
Banner Pharmacy Services division provides excellent patient care across our entire continuum through convenient access, improved medication outcomes and innovative pharmacy practices. Banner Pharmacy Services will be recognized nationally as a clinical leader and trusted partner in proactively providing innovative pharmacy services through excellence in integration, care coordination, medication management and service to make a difference in people's lives. Banner is expanding its focus from being a hospital company to a clinical quality company focused on population health management. Clinical Pharmacy Services are also included in this robust new service line and are responsible for the management of the Banner formulary, development of standardized system wide clinical pharmacy services, and management of adverse drug event preventions. Clinical Pharmacy Services provides collaborative drug therapy management and educational interventions in patient care to optimize medication therapy, improve outcomes, promote wellness, and disease prevention.
POSITION SUMMARY This position is responsible for leading and overseeing the technical and supportive personnel of the Department of Pharmacy Services. Ensures the functions of the technical and supportive personnel are consistent with policy and procedures. Assist in planning, directing, monitoring and evaluating the provision of distributive pharmacy services to all patient care areas.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Provides leadership and direction to Pharmacy Technician Staff, volunteers and technician externs. Promotes positive customer relations, fosters a team environment within the department and actively contributes to a supportive work environment.
2. Organizes and coordinates daily activities of the Pharmacy Technician Staff, volunteers and technician externs. Schedules Pharmacy Technicians on a routine basis to assure adequate and consistent service. Determines and assesses workflow of the pharmacy department and makes adjustments as needed. Participates in the duties of the Pharmacy Technician when workload dictates.
3. Manages people resources by recruiting, selecting, hiring, orienting, training qualified candidates. Participates in performance recognition in consultation with other members of the Pharmacy management group. Evaluates staff performance in an accurate, consistent, objective and timely manner. Communicates personnel issues to other members of the Pharmacy management group.
4. Coordinates and maintains activities associated with Automated Dispensing Machines. Ensures reports are run and quality assurance activities are completed in a timely manner. Orders and coordinates (or assist with these activities) installation of new Automated dispensing Machines and software as needed and approved. Resolves issues related to Automated dispensing machine users and inventory control.
5. Applies the principles of performance improvement consistent with the job expectations. Assists in Quality Improvement activities, Medication Utilization Evaluations and the development of Policies and Procedures. Coordinates technician meetings, participates in in-service programs, committees and other functions as appropriate.
6. Assumes or delegates the duties of the Pharmacy Supply Coordinator in facilities that do not have an individual in this position. These duties include but are not limited to, inventory control, order submission, inter-departmental billing functions, recalls, return of expired medications and working with vendor representatives.
7. Oversees all aspects of medication use, including (1) selection, procurement and storage, (2) dispensing, (3) monitoring of all medications utilized. Internal customers may include Patients, Nurses, Licensed Independent Practitioners, Nursing Directors, Department Directors, Administrators and other health care team members for the purpose of integrating services, improving patient care and ensuring effective communication systems. External customers may include local, state, and national pharmacy organizations, Joint Commission, state Board of Pharmacy, colleagues and peers, educational institutions and pharmaceutical representatives.
Requires (or eligible for) pharmacy technician licensure in the state of practice (where applicable) and/or technician certification.
Must possess good organizational, problem solving and computer skills. Must possess training in compounding intravenous medications and sterile products preparation. Must have good written and verbal communication skills for interfacing with all levels of staff, physicians, patients and other contacts.
Must have knowledge of computer software, particularly medication management information system software, Microsoft applications and Automated dispensing system.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS Three years experience as a Pharmacy Technician in hospital pharmacy practice. Previous supervisory experience is preferred.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
DATE APPROVED 06/22/2008
Internal Number: R8800
About Banner Health
You want to change the health care industry – one life at a time. You belong here. You’re excited to be part of the dramatic changes happening in the health care field. In fact, you thrive on change. But you also understand that excellent, compassionate patient care is the true measure of the success of these changes. You belong at Banner Health. Our award-winning, comprehensive health system includes 23 hospitals in seven western states, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, a network of physician practices and much more. Throughout our system, skilled, compassionate professionals use the latest technology to change the way care is provided. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages: •Our vision for changing the future of health care gives you the opportunity to leverage your abilities to achieve something historic. •Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health. Our system also includes hospitals specializing in cancer, heart health and pediatrics. •Our many loc...ations also translate into a broad selection of exciting and rewarding lifestyle options – from the big city to the wide-open spaces. •Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible. •The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path. •Our competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.