A position in a Banner Health pharmacy is one you can look forward to. Join an engaging environment of full service, high technology and experience a wide variety of responsibilities. You'll also see how important a pharmacy job is to our ability to make life easier for our patients. Come enjoy great challenges and build both your knowledge of the field and your analytical skills.
Population health management is a central driving strategy behind Banner Health's delivery of high quality and cost effective integrated healthcare. Banner Pharmacy Services (BPS) provides innovative pharmacy solutions and coordinated patient care across this integrated system. BPS staff practicing in population health management have exciting opportunities to work with data and business intelligence technology as well as diverse teams of internal and external partners to collaborate in support of making health care easier for our customers. In addition to that, we partner with providers to offer guidance and support for positive patient outcomes through individualized medication management and proactive outreach.
The Pharmacy Intern in this position will work closely with our clinical pharmacists to support population health initiatives helping to ensure high quality care through optimal medication therapy management. The office location will be at the Banner Corporate center in Mesa or downtown Phoenix.
Your pay and benefits (Total Rewards) are important components of your Journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefit plans to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life.
POSITION SUMMARY This position will work under the supervision of the pharmacist. Performs routine duties in packaging, distribution and record keeping of pharmaceutical supplies. Assists in preparing compounded and intravenous medications, total parenteral nutrition products, and chemotherapeutic agents. Consistently demonstrates an ability to assess a situation, consider alternatives, and choose the appropriate course of action. May work with the Pharmacist in processing physician orders for medications by entering information in to the medication management system in an unverified status. Under the supervision of the pharmacist, assesses and formulates potential recommendations to physicians and provides information to physicians, nurses, and others regarding topics relating to the medication use system. Must demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients being served.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Selects and/or prepares medications, under direct supervision, as indicated on the patient medication orders. Places medications in patient boxes or in designated area for pharmacist to review, sends/delivers medications to nursing units as required. Investigates missing medication requests Charges/credits patients for medications and intravenous solutions as appropriate. Restocks unused and credited returned medications.
2. Attends to customers and answers telephones in a courteous and timely manner. Serves as a liaison between the customer and the pharmacist.
3. Using automated dispensing technology or requisition, restocks medications to nursing and ancillary areas after checked by a pharmacist. Restocks medications to all areas outside automated dispensing technology which may include but not be limited to trays, code carts and emergency boxes. Adds users to the automatic dispensing technology database as per policy. Investigates discrepancies in automated dispensing technology. Troubleshoots automated technology malfunctions.
4. Identifies medications and other items for reorder as necessary to maintain a continuous inventory of medications and supplies. Receives, checks-in, and restocks medications ordered through wholesaler and other vendors.
5. Compounds specialty drug products. Repackages bulk medications into unit of use packaging. Completes accurate documentation of items compounded and repackaged.
6. Assists in preparing and labeling of intravenous medication orders including total parenteral nutrition products and chemotherapy products using proper sterile and aseptic technique.
7. Under the supervision of a pharmacist, utilizes education and pharmacy skills in assessing and formulating potential recommendations to physicians to help ensure quality and economical drug therapy, and positive patient outcomes. May provide information (under pharmacist supervision) to physicians, nurses, and others regarding medication therapy, medication systems, drug product guidelines, laws and regulations, medication formulary, and other topics related to the medication use system. Medication assessments may be performed with special consideration given to medication safety and the needs of the specific patient age groups served.
8. Performs quality control activities such as monthly nursing unit checks and pharmacy section checks in a timely manner. Completes documentation on refrigerator temperatures, intravenous hood cleaning, and equipment maintenance activities as required.
Must be attending an accredited school of Pharmacy.
Requires current and unrestricted pharmacy intern licensure in the state of practice.
Must possess good organizational, problem solving and computer skills. Must have good written and verbal communication skills for interfacing with all levels of Staff, physicians, patients and other contacts. Employees working at Banner Behavioral Health Hospital or the Whole Health Clinic must possess an Arizona Fingerprint Clearance Card at the time of hire and maintain the card for the duration of their employment.
Must have knowledge of computer software, particularly medication management information system software, Microsoft applications and Automated dispensing systems.
Pharmacy technician experience preferred. Additional training in specialty areas (such as automatic dispensing technology, controlled substances and satellite pharmacy) preferred.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
DATE APPROVED 11/03/2019
Internal Number: R10586
About Banner Health
You want to change the health care industry – one life at a time. You belong here. You’re excited to be part of the dramatic changes happening in the health care field. In fact, you thrive on change. But you also understand that excellent, compassionate patient care is the true measure of the success of these changes. You belong at Banner Health. Our award-winning, comprehensive health system includes 23 hospitals in seven western states, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, a network of physician practices and much more. Throughout our system, skilled, compassionate professionals use the latest technology to change the way care is provided. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages: •Our vision for changing the future of health care gives you the opportunity to leverage your abilities to achieve something historic. •Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health. Our system also includes hospitals specializing in cancer, heart health and pediatrics. •Our many loc...ations also translate into a broad selection of exciting and rewarding lifestyle options – from the big city to the wide-open spaces. •Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible. •The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path. •Our competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.