POSITION SUMMARY This position is responsible for the collection and receipt of biological specimens, proper entry into the computer system, preparation of samples for analytical testing, and/or distribution of these specimens to the proper analytical area. This includes responsibility for pre and post aspects of analytical testing. This position will also perform specified analytical testing as assigned. This position may perform duties associated with blood donor registration services.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Performs specimen collection and patient preparation, ensuring correct patient and specimen identification and specimen integrity by using appropriate techniques as required. Aliquots and labels specimens according to established departmental procedures and practices, delivers specimens to the technical area in a timely manner and / or performs initial processing and preparation of samples for transport.
2. Verifies patient demographics, insurance, and diagnostic test information, and accurately enters data into appropriate systems to ensure accurate documentation and billing.
3. Focuses on quality by assuring that all work performed is accurate and complete. Initiates computer generated reports as required for patient reporting and quality assurance monitoring. Completes documents legibly and accurately per site protocol. Maintains familiarity with departmental procedures. Uses appropriate documentation to record communications.
4. Maintains laboratory equipment. Maintains clean, safe work environment and makes appropriate reagents/bleach. Performs other technical support functions as determined by the department. Trouble shoots routine problems within their area of responsibility.
5. Assists with inventory management and ordering of supplies. Recognizes and provides input towards opportunities for improvements in financial performance, to decrease costs, improve productivity, and improve service.
6. May perform assigned patient testing, including, but not limited, to EEG, EKG, spirometry and pulse oximetry. May perform collections for drug and alcohol screening, following chain of custody protocols.
7. May be assigned daily oversight of staff workflow, operations, financial activities, and safety and policy standards.
8. Primary contact is with patients, under the direction of the provider and/or clinical supervisor. Internal customers: employees within the organization. External customers: patients and family members, physicians, physician office staff, and other healthcare professionals.
Performs all functions according to established policies, procedures, regulatory and accreditation requirements, as well as applicable professional standards. Provides all customers of Banner Health with an excellent service experience by consistently demonstrating our core and leader behaviors each and every day.
NOTE: The core functions are intended to describe the general content of and requirements of this position and are not intended to be an exhaustive statement of duties. Specific tasks or responsibilities will be documented as outlined by the incumbent's immediate manager.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS High school diploma/GED or equivalent working knowledge. A current license in state practiced as required by state law.
May be required to possess a valid driver's license and be eligible for coverage under the company auto insurance policy.
Must be able to communicate effectively in both oral and written formats.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS Phlebotomy certification. Previous experience of at least six months in a clinical laboratory setting or completion of phlebotomy school.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Internal Number: R7650
About Banner Health
You want to change the health care industry – one life at a time. You belong here. You’re excited to be part of the dramatic changes happening in the health care field. In fact, you thrive on change. But you also understand that excellent, compassionate patient care is the true measure of the success of these changes. You belong at Banner Health. Our award-winning, comprehensive health system includes 23 hospitals in seven western states, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, a network of physician practices and much more. Throughout our system, skilled, compassionate professionals use the latest technology to change the way care is provided. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages: •Our vision for changing the future of health care gives you the opportunity to leverage your abilities to achieve something historic. •Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health. Our system also includes hospitals specializing in cancer, heart health and pediatrics. •Our many loc...ations also translate into a broad selection of exciting and rewarding lifestyle options – from the big city to the wide-open spaces. •Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible. •The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path. •Our competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.